" Inspiration Stuff for the Addiction Counselor... Quotes, Ideas, Downloads, Reviews and Gifts."

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Counselor: Is it Outcome or Purpose?

It is often the case with counseling an addict that we spend numerous individual and group counseling sessions with a client and, sadly, they leave treatment early or relapse soon after discharge.  When this happens, all too often, how do we view "ourselves" after?  In other words, is my self-image affected.  Do I judge my purpose in being a counselor by my client's outcome that I can't control or by the processes/skills I can continually enhance and update through training and guidance?  Am I true to my Purpose... my Gift? 

"Believe when you are most unhappy, that there is something for you to do in the world.  So long as you can sweeten another's pain, life is not in vain." - Hellen Keller-
"To live for results would be to sentence myself to continuous frustration. My only true reward is in my actions and not from them." - Hugh Prather-
 Remembering .... "Today is the Gift.."

No comments:

Post a Comment