" Inspiration Stuff for the Addiction Counselor... Quotes, Ideas, Downloads, Reviews and Gifts."

Thursday, September 9, 2010

How do we Attend?

"To attend"... often it just rolls off my tongue.  How about you?  Attending this meeting, this church, this class etc. My interest in being more "mindful" I found that this word "attend" comes up a lot as part of that practice.  And so, I looked up the definition of "attend".  It didn't just mean showing up - sit down and share.  It states some of the following: to take care of; look after; pay attention to; to await --- and my favorite form the Latin: to stretch toward.  And so, it appears that " attend" is, indeed, an active verb! To Attend means for me that I become active in my caring ... not just talk but action.... action stretching toward a person or a goal.
"Listening is an attitude of the heart - attracting and healing." - anonymous-
"The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself." - Henry Miller -
"A dog that barks all the time gets little attention." - Argentina Proverb -
And, last but not least:

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves.  They shall never cease to be entertained."
Remembering: "Today is .... the Gift!"

No comments:

Post a Comment